abortive adj : failing to accomplish an intended result; "an abortive revolt"; "a stillborn plot to assassinate the President" [syn: stillborn, unsuccessful]
EtymologyLatin abortivus, from aboriri. See abort, (verb)
- Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an abortive child.
- Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as, abortive vellum.
- Rendering fruitless or ineffectual.
- Plunged in that abortive gulf. Milton
- Coming to naught;
failing in its effect;
fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an
- An abortive enterprise. - Prescott
- Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
- Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines. - Parr
- Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an abortive child.
- German: abgetriebenes
Made from the skin of a still-born animal
Rendering fruitless or ineffectual
- German: erfolglos, wirkungslos
Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful
- German: erfolglos
Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile
- German: unvollkommen, rudimentär
Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines
- German: abtreibend
Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
- German: abbrechen
That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion
- German: Abort, Abtreibung, Interruptio
A fruitless effort
- German: Erfolglosigkeit
- German: Abtreibungsmittel
- ttbc Catalan: avortiu
- ttbc French: abortif
- ttbc Interlingua: abortive
- ttbc Italian: abortito, abortivo
- ttbc Portuguese: abortivo
- ttbc Spanish: abortivo
- ttbc Vietnamese: đẻ non, non yếu, chết non chết yểu, sớm thất bại, không phát triển đầy đủ
- Feminine plural form of abortivo
Abortive may refer to:
abortive in Russian: Абортивный
barren, bootless, failed, failing, fruitless, futile, gainless, immature, ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, lame, manque, miscarried, miscarrying, nonremunerative, of no effect, otiose, profitless, rewardless, sterile, stickit, stillborn, successless, unavailable, unavailing, unformed, unfortunate, unmatured, unproductive, unprofitable, unremunerative, unrewarding, unripe, unsuccessful, useless, vain